After a hundred years of darkness, hope awakens with the first rays of sun, finally cutting through the dark shroud. The scattered survivors of mankind come out of their hiding holes and seek out new hope. But they are not the only ones seeking to survive. The many mystical creatures lurking in the shadows are not keen for man to reclaim his place. It is up to you to lead your men away from doom and into the light…
There are no heroes, no monster slayers, and no great armies ready to banish the dark forces that plague Thea. Just a few hopeless and starving survivors, who are desperately trying to stay alive. And you: their only true hope.
In Thea: The Awakening you take on the role of a god, a patron of a small group of survivors, hopelessly trying to lead your flock through the many risks and dangers that plague Thea. Only your skill and judgement will determine whether you can save mankind from eternal Darkness.
There are five key elements to gameplay in Thea: Village Management & Crafting, Resource Gathering, Card Minigame, Story Driven Events and Exploration.
Manage your village
You will need to decide how to best use the limited resources at your disposal, both in terms of supplies and manpower. You may choose to devote more men to building a new house, but then who will go out and find the resources? Or on the flip side, if you send out too many people, will your village be safe? Thea: The Awakening will based on a Day Turn and a Night Turn and during the long nights, your village is exposed to all manners of encounters and events, including simple attacks by hungry scavengers, or a mystical plague brought on by the Night Horrors…
Send out parties to seek out resources
Sending out scouting parties is not just a matter of choosing the direction. Many events will have different outcomes or dialogue options depending on who is in your party, so choose wisely! A wise woman may be frail and thus you risk loosing her on the road, but if you come across an unknown creature, she may be the one to save your hide!
Enter into a unique card minigame
Discover the many strange creatures lurking in the shadows
Yes, there is an abundance of creatures, both beast and man, who will inevitably attack your parties and village, for treasure, for the kill or simply out of hunger and desperation. But, not all of your encounters must end with a fight, nor will all fights start off in an obvious way! You may meet a lost child and wonder if it’s a trick, or you may meet a beast and end up talking it out… Will those flickering lights in the distance offer guidance and warmth, or will they lead you astray?
Explore the map and discover new locations
Our maps are randomly generated, so with each playthrough you will get a whole new world to explore! There will be forgotten ruins, forlorn forests, misty swamps or hazardous mountains, where the legends say, Orcs run amok…
So, what is Thea: The Awakening?
- A survival game in a Fantasy setting with hexagonal, turn-based strategic gameplay!
- Rich world inspired by Slavic Mythology with over 90 creatures roaming Thea!
- Over 200 non-linear dynamic events that can grant you riches or claim all you have!
- Exciting card mini game used to resolve not only combat, but even diplomacy/disease/curses and more!
- A procedural world with large world maps to explore, and 50 different world resources!
- Over 4400 items, all with an ability to either gather/harvest them in the world or craft from what you have collected!
- Multiple endings depending on game choices
- Rewards and unlocks that carry on to the next playthrough, encouraging replayability
- Opportunity to become one of 8 Slavic God/Goddess, each with unique bonuses, and decide the fate of Thea!
- Procedural creature instances – each creature, even in a swarm of spiders, has its own skills and stats!
- Day/night system influencing gameplay
Here are some of the gods you will be able to play as. Each god has got his or her own domain which will be reflected in a unique feature that help you in some way.
Below are some screens from the game which were taken while the game was early in development. Some are quite old and obviously do not reflect the final of the finished game.
The has been released for PC-Steam Early Access in September 2015, Xbox One release in planned for 2016.