Thea Factions - trade, make alliances...

Events

Thea Factions - trade, make alliances...

Postby dushu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Change log

10/05/2017 edit: new version. Adding more content for the late-game factions ("good" faction led by Zorya and "evil" faction led by the ogre king Thrym).
This is still in early stages (I'm planning much more stuff here), but it should already be possible to beat up and capture Simargl (a bit of a spoiler: the quest line at some point requires a dwarven smithy to be built in Howlingwood).

Also adding some more trade options to Howlingwood (trading with the werewolves, provided they moved into Howlingwood at the end of the questline).

After reading Xas's comment I also replaced some event illustrations that didn't match the event with custom images. I don't have an image pack that I can share but please see the "Custom images" section below for info on how you can easily use images of your own choosing.

---
27/04/2017 edit: tiny fix for the Zorya/Simargl encounter to make sure that Zorya joints the group for the duration of combat only, and is removed (together with her equipment) after the combat. It was a bit tricky to do. The combat is also more balanced now (Simargl's group is no longer terribly overpowered).

---
27/04/2017 edit: uploading a new version.

Orc quest was extended. Completing this quest line will now turn Crusher's band into the strongest faction in the area, which is not necessarily good, as the orcs get very arrogant and bossy at this point. But it's quite fun all the same, and opens some new options (e.g to have your villagers raised as bandits, yay!).

A new quest was added, focused around an ambitious ogre warlord who schemes to destroy the old gods while they are still weakened, and to cast the world back into an age of darkness and anarchy.
And you should try to stop him.
Unless you'd rather help him, because you can do that too!
This quest line is still not finished, but once finished it will effectively add two new factions - one strictly "good" and the other "bad" - each rewarding or scorning the Player depending on whether his overall deeds were righteous or evil.

Added some new trade options - most interestingly, it is now possible to buy farm animals in New Bumpkinton, and assign them to specific buildings. This improves building's bonuses (e.g. horses can help haul goods from larger distances, increasing Sacred Paths' gathering range bonus; or help work the fields, increasing the food production from Pastures. Dogs increase defensive bonuses of the Palisade or the attraction produced by the Manger).
The Howlingwood witch seems to have come up with some new potion recipes too.

Also trying to add some more depth to relations between the villagers. At this point this means occasional events where two villagers can fall in love with one another. Which - apart from being romantic - has the practical benefit of producing more children for the village.

Oh, and also added the "crossroads shrine" location where the status of all the mod's quests can be checked, along with instructions on how to proceed.
I always thought Thea could use a quest tracker of some sort, so... there it is.

---

What does this mod do?

Ok, so this is the mod I'm working on. In introduces several factions that the Player can trade and interact with.

It already has a decent amount of content, most of it focused on helping two cursed brothers build a village in the middle of the woods. And then developing the place into a safe haven for all sorts of misfits and magical creatures fleeing unfair persecution.

The mod also introduces some mechanical innovations, allowing for limited customization of characters. There is an event that lets you modify the attributes of each new character: attraction (which often doesn't match the portrait, so I let the Players re-assign it as they please) and willpower (which I plan to use in some events where character's personality is relevant).
There's also an option (for which I abuse the "light steps" attribute) to designate one of the villagers as "Player character" - a unique protagonist representing the Player himself which may play special role in some events.
I don't use those functionalities much yet, but in time I plan to try and use them to give the villagers some more depth and a more personal feel - maybe even have them marry, get angry at each other etc.

The mod also tracks the relation with each faction (on a scale of 0 to 100) and the relation changes based on decisions made, enabling and disabling some options and events depending on whether the faction and the Player are friends or enemies.

-----

Custom images used by the mod

The mod has some events for which I couldn't find a good match among the default event images that are in the game.
I don't have an imagepack at this point (I'm not a very gifted artist, and I didn't want to compile an imagepack out of images I don't have the right to use) but if someone wants to add their own images, please add images with the names and scenes listed below to your Thea images folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Thea The Awakening\Thea_Data\StreamingAssets\EventImages) and they should appear for the correct events:

fDarkElves.jpg - evil elven druids at Nyth Fran, a mist-shroudd den of dark magic.
fFirstWerewolf.jpg - the large white-furred werewolf, surrounded by his werewolf pack.
fHowlInn.jpg - inn, optionally with a party going on. Should ideally have Ianto the satyr acting as the bartender, but the picture I'm using simply features a party with some fantastic creatures drinking wine and chatting.
fHowlSmithy.jpg - smithy, with a dwarven smith in it.
fHowlWitch.jpg - witch's hut. The image I'm using has a young witch brewing a magical potion in a couldron.
fOrcsCamp.jpg - camp of the orc slavers.
fOrcsCrusher.jpg - portrait of the orc leader, Crusher.
fOrcsExtort.jpg - a generic portrait of an orc party. This is the image that shows when orcs visit the village to make some demands.
fRomance.jpg - generic romantic scene, it pops up during an event that informs that two characters fell in love.
fSatyrCaged.jpg - Ianto, the young satyr. The scene that uses this image features Ianto drunk and locked up in a cage at the slaver's camp. But I'm just using an image of a handsome satyr drinking wine.
fSimargl.jpg - the dread hound Simargl.
fStarfall.jpg - night sky and a falling star.
fThrym.jpg - Thrym, the ogre king. Should be big, powerful and ugly. Doesn't need to look especially regal.
fThrymCastle.jpg - Thrym's stone fortress, massive, sinister and optionally surrounded by a military encampment.
fWolfBrothers.jpg - two young hunter brothers, preferably with some forest in the background.

-----

Custom property codes used by the mod

In case anyone wanted to extend on the already existing content, below is the list of custom "*" tags that the mod currently uses, along with possible values and meaning (SPOILERS! SPOOILEERS!!!):

*factionsInited
1: mod intro was shown (travelling merchant), location of New Bumpkinton was marked on the map

*newBumReput
measures reputation with New Bumpkington, enables or disables dialogue options

*howlinReput
measures reputation with Howlingwood, enables or disables dialogue options

*howlinPhase
1: Wulfe Brothers Quest received but failed the initial tracking challenge. You will need to wait until you accidentally stumble upon the two brothers in your journeys (which should happen, eventually)
2: Wulfe Brothers event (fending off the wolf pack) spawned after the tracking challenge was won
3: Wulfe Brothers are wounded, waiting for healing
4: Wulfe Brothers are wounded, someone needs to diagnose Hans with lycanthropy
5: Wulfe Brothers are healed, need a place to stay (Barracks) constructed
6: Howlingwood has been created
7: after the witch hut was built, Johan asked for help curing his brother (must exit Howlingwood after building the witch hut, the dialogue for this quest stage plays the next time an expedition visits Howlingwood)
8: Player talked to the Howlingwood witch, location of Nyth Fran was marked on the map
9: Player defeated the druids at Nyth Fran and retrieved the runed bones
10: Player delivered the bones to the witch, Werewolf lair was marked on the map
11: (first ending) Player defeated the First Werewolf
12: (first ending) Player returned to Howlingwood, ending dialogue (check on Hans) was played
13: (second ending) Player handed the bone Pouch to the First Werewolf
14: (second ending) Player returned to Howlingwood, Hans rejoined Howligwood; convinced Johan to let Hans transform him; asked Wulf brother's permission to invite the werwolf pack to Howlingwood
15: (second ending) Talked to First Werewolf and his pack and passed the Wulfe brothers' invitation to join them in Howlingwood; Werewolf cave despawned and werewolves are now available in Howlingwood (can ask the First Werewolf to transform men into werewolves, paying with Reputation)

*howlinSmith
1: Player built the smithy and installed a dwarf in Howlingwood; option to visit the smithy is now enabled

*howlinWitch
1: quest issued. This also enables some dialogues with New Bumpkington's witch, opening an optional quest line
2: Player built the Herbalist's hut and installed a witch in Howlingwood; option to visit the witch is now enabled

*zmiyaYouth
1: talked to Anushka at Howlingwood after receiving the quest to install a witch at Howlingwood; selected one of the available quests (Troll Blood or Flower of Eastern)
2: Flower of Eastern quest progressing (talked to Leshy at the Gardens of Mokosh)
3: retrieved the ingredient: Flower of Eastern
4: retrieved the ingredient: troll blood
6: completed the quest - Anushka joined the group and is no longer available at New Bumpkinton

*howlingInn
1: Player got a quest to rescue a satyr that is being held captive by the Orc Slavers
2: Player tried to sneak up on the orcs but failed; rescuing the satyr through stealth is no longer an available option
3: Player managed to rescue the satyr - Ianto - from the orc slavers
4: Player built a Meeting Hall and installed the satyr in it, inn can now be visited

*orcSlaReput
measures reputation with the orc slavers, enables or disables dialogue options

*orcSlaPhase
1: location of orc slavers' camp was marked on the map
2: Crusher gave the Player a quest to subdue the villagers of New Bumpkinton, preferably without damaging them too much
low reputation: Player failed to sneak up on the villagers (lay in wait near the stream, wait for women to come out to do the washing), this option and "the drunken feast" both became unavailable, only brute force approach will now work
3: New Bumpkinton is being occupied by the orcs and was renamed to "Crusher'z Turf". Visiting the previous location of Slavers' Camp will result in the "the camp has been abandoned" dialogue +despawn
4: Crusher presented the Player with his demands, the orcs may now occasionally visit the Village and extort tribute

*orcSlaQuest
1: a random quest was issued by the orc chieftain (raid a farm, ...) and an appropriate location was marked on the map

*simargQuest
2: the night when the morning star fell from the sky happened; location on the map marked
3: arrived at the location where the star fell, spoke with Zorya;
received the quest to look out for the magical child;
received the quest to recover the shards of the golden sword of Svarog; received the location of the Thrym's lair (Abomination army)
received the quest to forge a magical chain with which to bind Simargl;
4: spoke with the smith in Howlingwood and had the magical chain forged
5: defeated and captured Simargl
Attachments
Factions.mod
Factions v1.06.1
(209.68 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
printscreen_troll_blood.jpg
(219.69 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
printscreen_orcs.jpg
(158.2 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Last edited by dushu on Sun May 14, 2017 3:22 am, edited 13 times in total.
dushu

Re: Thea Factions - trade, make alliances...

Postby felipeneves81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:43 pm

This looks awesome! Please keep updating with more content

I'll test it when I arrive home then I'll tell what I think.
felipeneves81

Postby dushu » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:30 pm

(obsoleted, please see the first post in the thread for the latest version)

...and adding new version with a bunch of fixes.

Also added more dialogue options for some people in Howlingwood, and extended the orc questline to the point where Player can help the orcs take over New Bumpkinton completely.
I'll probably add the opposite choice (help NewBumpkintonians eradicate the orcs) later.
Last edited by dushu on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dushu

Postby dushu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:27 am

(obsoleted, please see the first post in the thread for the latest version)

...and a new, updated version.

This one takes the main Howlingwood quest all the way to the end, allowing the Player to break the curse (or not - there are two available choices).

In case anyone gets stuck: go to the village (New Bumpkinton) that the traveling merchant mentions, speak with the people at the inn, and then follow the "lost hunters" quest line (which at one point requires you to construct the Barracks). Once the village of Howlingwood is created, speak with the Wulf brothers, find them a witch (or talk to the witch at New Bumpkinton) and build a Herbalist's Hut for her to move into. Getting a witch to move into Howlingwood is needed in order to move the quest line further.

A little hint: Several quests require you to construct specific buildings and the quality of the constructed building affects by how much the reputation with the faction will improve. E.g. the witch will appreciate it if you build her a nice home out of all them hard-to-get high level resources rather than just nail together a stick hut out of basic wood.

(adding this update as a comment because when I update the file in the original post the whole thread disappears for days until it can be approved by the moderator)
Last edited by dushu on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dushu

Postby Veomyr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 am

when trying to trade, they take wood from my buildings, even if my party or village has more than enough wood to cover. also took food from buildings too. otherwise it is a neat quest line.
Veomyr

Postby dushu » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 am

Ok, added a new version (attached to the the first post in this thread)!
Added quite a bit of new content and fixed some old bugs that were reported (and probably introduced some new ones, to maintain the cosmic balance).
dushu

Postby Xas » Sun May 07, 2017 7:32 am

Greetings nice work on the Factions mod.

Followed your work, read through countless times,
Edited the latest version of yours mod,
clean out the debug error,
did adjustments to literature and format,
filled in some missing scripts, one example i can recall, the inn keeper request the food, but doesn't take them,
de-compile the large mass of words into more adventure phase,
rearranged all phases for easily debugging.
attached a image file to each of the necessary adventure phase to tell a more convincing story.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xewy08fjr ... ctions.mod

Sharing with you if you like to take a look, or use it for future expansion.

Had compiled a large collection of .jpg for necessary use in Thea, none of them are mine, some from the other modders, most from the internet.
Had to rename the files from the other modders for easily selection and allocation.

JPG files for Thea Editor
http://www.mediafire.com/file/77wcol5fw ... ges_V1.rar
feel free to anyone to use the images for their own project.

Had made few other large mods, and adjustments to other modders submission, with added .jpgs and posted in this forum for quite awhile.
Yet no forum admin has approve the post for revealing. Perhaps the forum is abandoned.
Xas

Postby dushu » Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Hello Xas, and thanks for the kind words :D

I didn't use your file (already had some more changes in progress, and merging changes from two mod files would be a pain) but I did use the fix for the bartender issue, and I also took the advice on the images and replaced the ones that didn't fit the text with custom ones, it helps a lot!
dushu

Postby dushu » Sun May 14, 2017 3:29 am

tiny update: a few fixes for typos and bugs:
- werewolf transformation dialogue works correctly now (available after finishing the Howlingwood questline, provided the First Werewolf joined Howlingwood)
- failing to defeat Simargl (from Thrym/Zorya faction questline) causes his group to despawn and respawn some distance away (that's in case Simargl attacks the village while he is invincible because the magical chains weren't forged yet - I don't want him to keep attacking the village every turn if there is no way of defeating him yet)
dushu

Postby Commissar » Tue May 16, 2017 12:07 am

Hey Dushu!

Thanks for your mod, it is a very nice addition to the game, I believe.
I took some time to search a corresponding image for each one that bothered you (except the one with a satyr in prison, that's just impossible to find). I know my ways with editing programs and edited some, although I am not sure that the images fit the events perfectly (I made them based on your descriptions). Would that be of any use, if I sent them to you?
Commissar

Next

Return to Events